Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Road

Driving into Versailles, Kentucky is like driving into my own personal paradise. Although I must admit, my perceptions could have been skewed by the 10 hours I spent in the car yesterday. I departed Brantford, Ontario, Canada shortly before 7 am on Tuesday. After ducking into the nearest Timmies to grab my final double-double for the next few months, I trekked on towards Windsor. With the help of many radio stations and even more windshield washer fluid, I arrived at the border shortly before 11. This was the most eventful part of my trip, as the immigration office was apparently designed to act more like an interrogation room. I got through smoothly, but not before seeing others get rudely interrogated, and one especially angry customs officer violently crumple a man’s papers and throw them on the floor. Boy, was I glad I didn’t end up in her line!

After being released from the immigration office, the final five hours of my journey were clear sailing. This part of the trip consisted of many miles, one bathroom break, and the consumption of half a delicious chicken sandwich, courtesy of Mom.

I arrived at Lane’s End Farm in Versailles, Kentucky, at 4:45 p.m. I was shown to my temporary apartment, as my “permanent” home for the next three months is undergoing some minor repairs (I should be there next week). With my long trip finally catching up to me, I crawled into bed at 7:30 p.m.

Today consisted of some serious grocery shopping, a tour of the farm, and a drive-by (glance) of the Blood-Horse. I will be starting at Lane’s End working two night shifts this week (Friday and Saturday nights), and continuing on Saturday nights thereafter. The farm tour was great, although with each road we turned down and with each barn we visited, I only became more lost. According to more than a few of the staff members, this is normal for newbies. I’m very excited to get to know the mares a little better. Lane’s End is pulsing with regal bloodlines. One of the mares I handled today was Tranquility Lake, dam of After Market and Jalil.

After going for a driving adventure through downtown Versailles and over to the Blood-Horse offices, I finally settled down to dinner and blogging. Tomorrow promises to be just as busy: a visit to Blood-Horse in the morning, and another visit to Lane’s End in the afternoon. This time I hope to stop by the stallion complex.

The past two days have been long and taxing, with small bouts of homesickness aided by beautiful scenery and even more beautiful horses. I can’t wait to see what the next three months will hold.

For photos, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment