Monday, January 11, 2010

Night Shift

With names like Mr. Prospector, Storm Cat, A.P. Indy, Dixieland Band and Seattle Slew stamped across the stall doors, walking the aisle of mare barn 6 (the foaling barn) at Lane’s End feels more like walking on egg shells than concrete. This weekend I worked two night shifts in the foaling barn, which translates into 28 hours with 28 regally bred mares and their unborn foals. Some of these mares include the half sisters to Fusaichi Pegasus and Mineshaft, a full sister to A.P. Indy, and numerous grade one winners and producers. And this is just the first lot to foal. I’ve learned quickly that things work quite differently on a large farm than a small farm. I will not have as much opportunity to develop bonds with the mares or their foals, but at the same time 130 plus foalings in a year leaves room for invaluable learning experiences. The next three months for me will have a focus on gaining experience foaling and sharpening my skills in that area.

*Note to “farm designer people”: if you’re going to have 3000 acres of land, at least make some of the barns look different, or put up inner-farm road signs so that one does not get brutally lost and have to call for help every time they wish to get to or from their barn.

Thank you and best regards,

Newbie with no sense of direction.

(Note: I managed to find the appropriate exit without getting brutally lost after my Saturday night shift. I was incredibly proud of myself.)

No comments:

Post a Comment