Thursday, December 31, 2009

Year in Review

2009, like all other years, was a year to remember. While previous years have held more singular exciting incidents, this year held a steady course of happiness, excitement, and of course, tears. It served as a nice wrap up to 2005 through 2008, and a great preview to what will come in 2010.

The most monumental factor of 2009 is the transition it has kick started in my life. This year I finished my University classroom work and wrapped up my job at Schonberg Farm (at least for now). I secured an internship at The Blood-Horse, accomodations at Lane's End Farm and am planning to do some travelling, all of which are to commence in 2010. 2009 will be remembered as the year when plans were made. 2010 will be the year to put those plans into action.

2009 started off with a bang, as I was heavily wrapped up in freelance writing for The Game and executing my duties as Editor-in-Chief of the school paper. The insanity continued throughout the winter, and I was very relieved to wrap up the school year and begin my fifth summer working at Schonberg Farm. Without a letdown, the summer also commenced with a bang, with five foals born in four days as soon as I started back. Our racing season began shortly thereafter, and the fruition of our hard work was finally realized as horses like First Circle, Woodsmoke and Politelyprecocious kicked off a 16-win season. The American racing scene was one of the most thrilling for me in a couple of years, as I wholeheartedly cheered on two Birdstone progeny, Mine That Bird and Summer Bird, to win the Kentucky Derby, Belmont Stakes, Travers Stakes and Jockey Club Gold Cup. Mine That Bird allowed me to have my second story published in The Blood-Horse.

The hard work hammered on at the farm, and in early July I ventured to B.C. for a weekend vacation. The summer continued with a lot of hard work and a few fun nights out.

In September I headed back to school, and began my new job with Mike's stable at the track. Being involved on the track side of the industry proved to be a lot of fun, and working with the athletes I had helped foal and raise was very thrilling and rewarding. In November I travelled to California for the second year in a row to attend the Breeders' Cup, which was naturally an excellent trip which can be summed up as the "Zenyatta Show". A week later I took a road trip with Lauri to Kentucky. I had the time of my life looking at horses and talking about horses for two straight days, and I got to visit Wando for the first time in two years.

In the midst of all this travelling, I completed my thesis proposal and hammered away at five other courses. Now, I have finished my classroom education at Guelph-Humber and am making my final preparations to travel to Kentucky for three months.

2009 has been a year to remember. Here's to hoping it kick starts the next chapter of my life in style.

No comments:

Post a Comment